The communicator

The communicator

Proverbs 2:6

For the Lord giveth wisdom: out of his mouth cometh knowledge and understanding.

Thursday, May 6, 2010

What does Christ owe me?

The hired labourers in Matthew 20 agreed to wok all day for a penny. The householder who hired them went out at different times throughout that same day and hired more labourers. At the end of the day he paid the eleventh hour workers a penny. When the labourers whom had been working all day were to be paid; they expected more than the penny they agreed on. They received the penny they were promised, which was just. However they were upset that they- who worked longer and maybe even harder- were paid the same as someone who only worked for one hour. The housholder's answer to their selfishness: "Is it not lawful for me to do what I will with mine own? Is thine eye evil, because I am good?"

Christ has promised us eternal life, if only we will trust him for it. What more does he owe us? (what more COULD he give?) Well...he doesn't even owe us eternal life. All of us have sinned, and the wages of sin is death. Therefore if we are due anything, it's death. I'll do well to remember that I belong to God, and so does everything I see. Whatever God decides to do in my life or with any of this "stuff" here on earth, he is certainly just in his doing.

Another thing to consider- Christ suffered more than any of us ever have or will. He has the authority to grant salvation to a dying thief, and then give him the same reward as a lifelong faithful follower. Praise God! Because I could have been that thief.

This parable has stuck with me over the years. The Lord has used it on several occasions and for many different situations in my life. I encourage you to read it for yourself, and hear what God wants to share with you. Matthew 20: 1-16

Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment