The communicator

The communicator

Proverbs 2:6

For the Lord giveth wisdom: out of his mouth cometh knowledge and understanding.

Friday, May 21, 2010

Do I obey God or man?

We received our Census form in March. I opened it and was a bit taken back by all the information they were looking for. So I tossed it.

Recently- last week- I was reading in Romans. As I read Romans 13, the Lord convicted me of my decision to ignore the perceived intrusion by the "gov'ment" (To quote our "gov'ner")

Anyway- The Lord tells us in Romans 13 to submit to the authorities that are put in place. And that if we resist this authority, we are actually resisting the ordinances of God. (v2)

Sooo- then- I figured I needed to see about getting this info to the state, as to be in obedience to God. Well, our efficient government obliged by knocking on our door early this week. What timing. Yeah- I gave them most of the info they were looking for. And I did it with the knowledge that it's what the Lord would have me do.

If the government tells me I can no longer pray to the Lord Jesus, or that I can not tell others about Him; do I obey the government then also? Well- no. I can see clearly from scripture (see Daniel and many of the early apostles/disciples) that these demands cannot be obeyed. Lets look at Peter's reply to this request:

Acts 5:28-30 (King James Version)

28-Saying, Did not we straightly command you that ye should not teach in this name? and, behold, ye have filled Jerusalem with your doctrine, and intend to bring this man's blood upon us.

29-Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men.

God commands us to preach the gospel. God commands us to obey the governing authorities. So- As long as I'm not ordered by the government to disobey Christ, I need to continue submitting to the authority God put in place.

Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment